Saturday 29 June 2013

Dreams

So, I have this weird fascination with natural disasters. Volcano eruptions, Tsunamis, even sand storms- they are just so awe inspiring and absolutely beautiful. However, I'm in love with tornadoes. I've never witnessed a natural disaster, but if I had to witness one, I'd choose tornadoes. There's something very very powerful about them and along with being powerful, they're beautiful. The amount of destruction they can cause is so intense and I've never been someone who's afraid of destruction. 
I'm not sure what the tornado is a metaphor for, but I have recurrent dreams about it. And even in my dreams, I want to be closer and closer to it, situate myself in its eye, experience the calm with destruction all around me.

The first dream I remember about having a tornado is being in a flat with my family. Suddenly, the lights go out and the alarms are blaring in warning. I know that we need to move out of the house but I can't describe the why yet. I look out of the window to see a tornado with the diameter of half the city moving towards me. Not in a random direction, but towards me. I don't know how I know this, but I know it is targeting only me. We move out quickly and get in the car. The tornado chases us. Soon after, I persuade my family to get out of the car. I take the car away from the city and the tornado's closing on me. But as soon as it touches the car, it disappears.
The second dream I had of tornadoes was during a metro journey in a desert. It was only me and my family in the whole metro and we were travelling fairly calmly when suddenly, the sky grows dark. Down comes one tornado. Then two. And they keep coming until they're five. And then they come for me. All of us are huddled in one compartment. The other compartments and the engine are blown away but our compartment's still moving on the track. The tornadoes surround us, but then suddenly, they disappear.
The latest tornado dream I had was yesterday. I was returning from college to home when a warning for a tornado rang out in our city. Dad offered to come and fetch me but I insisted on travelling in the metro. It was evening and the sky was pitch black. When the tornado came, I could see that it wasn't made of dust, but tar. It came very close to the metro tracks and my metro but it dissipated. But then it came back again and I was worried that the metro track will be destroyed. I wouldn't have minded dying in the tornado but I thought I'd die of the fall due to property damage rather than in a tornado and that was not acceptable to me.  Anyway, irrespective of what I wanted, the tornado barreling through the metro without causing any damage. I was in its eye for about a second, but so were the others. The tornado went on to another path, and the metro stopped at the next station. Then I had to call my dad to pick me up. I could see the tornado passing us by through the car window.

Despite these exciting dreams, I live in a pressure zone where the chances of tornadoes are next to zero. All we have here are earthquakes which are so light that I can't even feel them ._.



No comments:

Post a Comment