Sunday 4 November 2012

NaNoWriMo

So, it’s November. I’m actually quite sad about  it being November because I love October. October is the month where the temperature is just right. There’s no sun. A light breeze flows throughout the month. I could livein this weather forever. However, what would make it even better would be maple trees shedding red, yellow and mustard leaves which the wind would carry to me. But yeah. I live in India. We don't have maple trees. We don’t have autumn -.-

Anyway, it’s a new month. But November is not an ordinary month. It’s a month for the preparation of my exams, which are in December, by the way. It’s also the month for NaNoWriMo. I don’t know how many of you would know about it, but for all the dunderheads who don’t know about it, the full form of NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. Er, I don’t know which country’s national novel writing month it is, but people from all over the world participate in NaNoWriMo. And as you guessed it, November is the month to write a novel.

It’s actually a bad time for me to start a novel because I have three and a half seasons of Criminal Minds to go through. Also, my exams are coming up and I need to study. But it’s my last year as a literature student. And I don’t have a novel to my name. How embarrassing is that? So, I decided that no matter how horrible it turns out, I WILL write a novel. I’m already four thousand words into it. And because I’m writing thousand words per day (which is nothing short of a Herculean task), I hope to achieve thirty thousand words by the end of the month. If I succeed, this will be the longest thing I would have ever written.

Honestly, I don’t like writing. Don’t get me wrong- I love this blog to death, and sometimes, I love the assignments that I write. But writing anything over 400-500 words drains my creative well. The quality worsens. I just... can’t explain it. I feel like a deflated balloon after 500 words. That’s why I don’t have any facebook notes over 500 words long (except for that Jack the Ripper thing which I copied from Wikipedia).
But my desire to write a novel is stronger than my desire to write a good novel right now. So I’m going to finish my novel (actually, it’d only be a novella, but whatever) by the end of November. It’s an interesting motivation to write, you know. Even if you don’t finish your work, it gives you a sense of achievement (I had tried last year. Couldn’t write past four thousand words, but it felt good to write those four thousand words). So, sign up for NaNoWriMo! Everyone could do with some writing practice! :D




Oh, and a happy new month! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment